Monday, September 21, 2015

Online Card Class: Watercolor for Cardmakers--Exploring Mediums Day One, Markers

Well, started another class from OnlineCardClass.com, about using different watercolor mediums.  I've already taken the first Watercolor for Card makers class they offered, but felt I would learn even more with this class.

The first day explored watercolor markers.  I have two sets of markers, my distress inks markers, and a cheap set that came in a set with other art supplies.










I started with the distress markers.  I colored in strips of color on my watercolor paper (not a very good paper, I'm afraid, as it came with the set).  I did strips of stormy sky at the top, followed by tumbled glass, shaded lilac and finally pickled raspberry.  I then added water to blend the colors together.  It turned out okay, but not what I'd call good.  The pickled raspberry didn't blend as well as the other ones, even after I added extra water.






 









I decided to try the same thing again, only this time on Canson Watercolor paper, and see if that made a difference.  Using the same colors and technique, I could see a slight difference in the two papers.

















For my third try, I washed the Canson paper with water, then tried using the markers on the wet paper.  The coverage was poor, with the two blues fading almost to no color except at the edges, even the lilac didn't make much of a showing.  The pickled raspberry, on the other hand, was quite vibrant.



I really wasn't very impressed with any of these experiments with the markers, but will be trying these techniques with the other watercolor markers I have in my next post.  Hopefully, they will turn out better.

No comments: