Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Sparkle and Shine using loose glitter and tape adhesive

Learning a lot from my Online Card Class.

On the first day, they also had a lesson on using bonding powder presented by Kristina Werner.  She used it to stamp images, and then added the glitter to them.  It was a great look, as she added more than one color to each stamped image!

I know I have some Ranger Sticky Embossing Powder somewhere, and I've been wanting to try it out, but I just couldn't seem to find it when I looked.  When it shows up, I will be trying it out, and the lesson was very interesting, but for now, I'm out of luck.  Perhaps later in the week I'll be able to do it.

However, there was another lesson, this one by Jennifer McGuire, about making Glitter die cut inlays.  She used double sided adhesive sheets, and sprinkled various shades of blue and green to make a lovely blended watery background for an underwater sea scene.  Very pretty.  In one of her other cards she used strips of double sided tape adhesive, peeling off the  protective color one strip at a time and adding different color glitter to each strip.  She did a rainbow background and inlaid a rather detailed house and trees die.  It looked awesome!


Having some double sided tape on my worktable, that became my base.   I cut three hearts from my front, laid it on the tape, and proceeded to sprinkle glitter on the adhesive showing through the cut-outs.  My idea was to make them mostly red, with some gold blended in for highlights.  What I got was splotchy hearts.  Not quite what I had in mind.  While the result was not what I wanted, the procedure went very smoothly, so I decided to try again.





My next try was cutting out a more detailed heart from black glitter paper, then adding red glitter to the result.  This did not go as smoothly.  Trying to line up some of the detail pieces apparently resulted in  me removing some of the sticky from the adhesive.  I also ended up with some sticky on my finger, which I discovered when I left some on the card front and red glitter stuck to it, right on top of and next to the design.  I would not call this a success.  Maybe I'll try again later in the week, but for now, I think I'm going to try another technique.











So this was not a total loss, I attached the black cut-out leftover heart to the front on a gold glitter card.  That turned out pretty nice.









No comments: