Monday, May 08, 2017

New Online Class--Sparkle & Shine!

When OnlineCardClasses.com sent the information about this upcoming class, I was elated!  I love cards with sparkle and shine, but I'm never too sure how to add it without overdoing it.  So I generally just use a bit of glitter paper for the background, or else add some glitter to my shaker cards.


Since I had some glitter paper handy, I started off with the idea presented by Carissa Wiley, and used some Sharpies I had to color over some silver glitter paper.  I used a bright yellow, bright orange and bright red.  The result was a little different than I imagined.  It wasn't as bright and bold as I had anticipated, and the bright yellow ended up looking slightly green.   The orange ended up looking like a copper color, while the red turned into a brownish color.  Even with this, I thought the resulting glitter looked pretty good.

My original intent was to die cut the three words, and attach them to the front and be done.  However, when I laid my design out, it looked a little too sparse, so I die cut the black card stock frame, and was more happy with the result.


I did have a little trouble with the die cuts.  While they looked like they were cut all the way through to the back, apparently there was a thin layer of some sort of adhesive to attach the glitter to the base card stock, which did not cut through in some places.  The card stock was cut through, the glitter itself wasn't a problem, but that adhesive just stretched instead of being cut through in several places. The most troublesome places like the cut outs in the middle of some of the letters, or the skinny indents, such as between the g and h in laugh.

It took me longer to get the words cut out cleanly, then all the rest of the card put together, including the coloring. I believe the next time I will look for my metal plate and see if using that helps at all.

No comments: