Sunday, May 14, 2017

A Little More Glitter and Foil



While watching the Jennifer McGuire's video on using gilding flakes, and how she used a "hello" die cut on a piece of sticky paper before adding the flakes, it occurred to me that possibly peel-off stickers would also work.

My gilding flakes haven't arrived yet, but I thought I would try attaching a sticker to some glitter paper and coloring the inside design (coloring on glitter paper was taught in an earlier class).  I grabbed a sheet of stickers (Dazzles Vintage Cars Stickers from Hot off the Press), and stuck it on a small piece leftover silver glitter paper.  It stuck on very well, after a little burnishing, and then I colored in the car body with my Copics.  The color dried much lighter than it went on, so I had to go over the red again with a darker red, because the first time the card turned out pink.

I then foiled another Foil Mates background. I had a lot of trouble with that, first trying one foil that didn't melt to the background, even doing it a couple of times.  Then I tried another foil, to see if a different brand would work better.  Still nothing, so cut another sheet of the background to try that.  Nothing.  Then I tried it again, this time adding an additional sheet of card stock in the stack before running it through the laminator.  Did better, so I ran it through again.  Finally, success!  I don't know what the problem was, didn't have any trouble earlier in the week when I did it.  When I used the leftover silver foil on a sheet of toner card, I had to do it three times, and there were still little spots that didn't take the foil.  I put the sentiment over the worst of it.

All in all, I was pleased with how the card came out.  I liked the idea of using the stickers, even though I'm not a big fan of fussy cutting, and I think it turned out pretty well. Sorry abut the photo, it was the best one, even though I am semi-reflected in the background.




No comments: