Thursday, May 28, 2015

Using liquid masking--Day 3

I've never tried liquid masking before, but I got out my rubber cement and an old paintbrush, and gave it a try.  I first stamped the flower on the watercolor paper, and then attempted to paint over it with the rubber cement.  Not as easy as you might think.

My first problem was the brush.  While I thought it was quite a small brush, it was actually a little larger than it should have been, and I had a little trouble covering the flower without going too much out of the lines.

My second problem was the background.  I decided to use my distress ink markers, scribbling them on an acrylic block, spritzing with water, smearing a little together with my finger, smooshing the block onto my paper.  There was a little too much water on the block, I think, and when I lifted it to smoosh, it ran all over and didn't look as good as I had imagined it.  I blotted the paper with a paper towel, then tried again, this time using fewer colors and a lot less water.  This seemed to work better, and actually gave a little depth to the background.


I rubbed off the rubber cement when it was dry, and discovered I hadn't covered the stamping as well as I had thought, and there were little spots where the watercolor had gone through.

Overall, I think the project came out pretty well, and once again I have discovered several things I should not do the next time I attempt this, as well as a couple of things that I liked. 


No comments: